Learn the fundamentals of the IPS model and how to effectively provide top notch services to individuals on your caseload. Throughout this course we will explore specific strategies, concepts, and skills that IPS specialists can use to best support and assist job seekers to reach their individualized employment goals. Because this online course is interactive, you will receive personalized feedback to enhance your skillsets even further. You can ask pointed questions about techniques for specific client scenarios, employer networking experiences, and other newly learned concepts.
- Using a Team Approach (including families, VR counselor and mental health practitioners)
- Focusing on Strengths and Preferences
- Client Interviewing Skills
- Job Development (Web-based)
- Job Development (Fieldwork)
- Planning Job Supports
- IPS Supported Employment for Persons with Co-occurring Disorders
- Supporting high school students and facilitating effective career exploration (optional unit)
- Assisting with financial aid and supports for post-secondary education and training (optional unit)
This web-based course is intended for IPS specialists and their supervisors. Vocational Rehabilitation counselors have also taken the course by partnering with their local IPS program. Those who are actively working with clients, new to implementing IPS services, or simply looking to refresh on ways to effectively provide services under the IPS model, will benefit from this course.
Each learning module consists of 30-40 minutes at the computer watching videos, reading, and answering questions.
Following the computer work, participants are asked to spend time practicing new skills during their workweek and then write about their experiences, for example, after learning about new techniques for building relationships with employers, students are asked to practice those techniques by meeting with employers.
Unlike many other online courses, this training course includes contact with course facilitators who review all fieldwork assignments and provide personalized feedback.
Participants may work on the course at any time of day or night, though sections of the course will shut down as the course progresses.